FAQ – Swedish as a foreign language

Frequently asked questions about learning Swedish as a foreign language.

1. Do I need a Swedish personal number to take a Swedish course at Folkuniversitetet?

No, you do not need a Swedish personal number to take an “open” course (those with a course fee). But you might need a visa, depending on which country you come from (see question 2).

If you wish to take “SFI” (the free courses that immigrants are entitled to) you need to have a Swedish personal number. 

2. What should I do if I need a visa for language studies in Sweden?

Contact the Swedish embassy in your country for information.
You can also look at The Swedish Institute's website about residence permits and visas.

3. Which levels can I choose from?

Our language courses are divided into six levels from A1 (beginners) to C2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR). 
Which level should I choose?

Please note that a course is not the same thing as a level. Since the duration of our courses is often only a few weeks, each level is often divided into several courses. If you see that a course you have started in is too easy or too difficult, contact your local Folkuniversitetet – usually you can change to another group and level within a few days.

4. How long do I need to study to learn Swedish?

It depends on what your goal is, the intensity of your course and how much you use Swedish outside the classroom. The length of your studies may also depend on your previous education and language background. It is important that you start at the right level. 
More about tests and exams

5. Will I receive a certificate and/or grade?

When you have completed your course, you can request a course certificate (kursintyg) from your local Folkuniversitetet. You will receive a course certificate if you attended at least 75 percent of the lessons and have paid the course fee. There may be a charge if you request a course certificate for a previous term.

On the other hand, if you would like to receive an official grade (betyg) for your studies, contact the Adult Education authorities (Vuxenutbildningen) in your municipality.

You can also do an international exam called Swedex if you would like an international certificate of Swedish as a foreign language.

6. Is course literature included in the course fee?

Course books are not included in the fee unless otherwise specified on the course page for your particular course. The name of the course book that will be used will either be found on the course page of each course or included on the written notification you will receive before the course starts. You can ask your local Folkuniversitetet if there are any discounts available.

7. When will I receive practical information about my course?

About a week before the start of the course, you will receive an email (or letter if you don't have an email address) with information about time, place, teacher, books to buy etc.

8. Can I cancel or change my booking / what happens if I'm ill?

A booking is always binding, and if for any reason you cannot or do not wish to attend a course, you must notify us.

"Changing a booking" is the same as a "cancellation".
You can find our cancellation terms here.

If you cannot attend your course for a short period due to work or illness, contact your teacher to see what you can do to catch up with the progress of the rest of the group. Usually, it is not possible to "make up" a lesson in another group.

9. Can I have private lessons?

Yes, this is possible to arrange. We can tailor-make lessons on a one-to-one basis or for you and a group at your workplace. Contact your local Folkuniversitetet for course planning and a quotation. The price can vary depending on your local Folkuniversitetet.

10. What should I do if I'm not happy with the teacher or the course?

If you are not happy, it is important that you speak to your teacher right away and he/she might be able to make some changes in the course. You can also contact your local Folkuniversitetet and let them know how you feel. If you let us know what is wrong as soon as possible, we can try to find a solution together.